Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Yes, I know, but..."

Did you know that the phrase "Yes, I know, but _________" can single-handedly keep you locked in to a life you don't really like all that much?

That one phrase is responsible for 95%* of all situations that we detest, but continue to have to suffer through day-in and day-out! It is the single biggest contributor* to the perpetuation of the "What-IS-ness" pandemic in this nation!

In actuality, the phrase "Yes, I know, but _________" is an ORDER to the Universe about how we want our world to be - it is a request, which when used repeatedly (as it often is) creates the conditions which it describes! Let me illustrate:

I have a friend who has a massive project that she needs to finish in the next month in order to have her life move forward in accordance with her plans of the last 7 years (she is finishing her dissertation for her Ph.D.), and, when I encourage her to look at her goal, and her vision, and simply envision it as already done (a very powerful exercise) and describe it to me, she almost cuts me off with all the "Yes, I know, but ______'s" that follow!

"...but I don't have enough time!"
"...but I CAN'T take any more time off of work!"
"...but I need this job to make money!"
"...but I'm tired!"
"...but it's too hard!"
"...but I don't know anyone who can do any of the typing for me!"
"...but I am embarrassed to ask for help!"

The Universe is a GIANT "YES" machine - it hears your request (verbatim) and gives you EXACTLY what you are "wishing" (or "Yes, but-ing") for! When my friend spouts off all of her "Yes, but's", the Universe rewards her with an experience that is EXACTLY what she has asked for:

"YES - you get to experience not having enough time!"
"YES - you get to experience not taking any time off of work!"
"YES - you get to experience needing this exact job"
*and* (bonus)
"YES - you get to experience needing to make money!"
*and* (another bonus)
"YES - you get to experience making only the same paltry sum you now make!"
"YES - you get to experience being tired!"
"YES - you get to experience it as hard!"
"YES - you get to experience not knowing anyone who can do any of the typing for me!"
"YES - you get to experience feeling embarrassed to ask for help!"


Next time you catch yourself responding to input (from a friend, or, even worse, from YOURSELF) with "Yes, I know, but _________" try to keep in mind that it IS, in itself, a request to the Universe for what you want to be experiencing, then, try to turn it around into a statement of what you would like to be experiencing instead. Just a simple affirmation about what you REALLY do want can do wonders!

As for me, I want to experience making plenty of money doing what I love to do! I want to experience having plenty of energy and vim and vigor and enthusiasm for every minute of my day! And I want to interact with friends who value my expertise and support enough to not say "yes, I know, but _______" to my loving suggestions! (wink and a smile!)



...Stay tuned for more on telling a NEW story!!!



* = These statistics are entirely fabricated, but, may be MUCH closer to the truth than any of us can imagine!